Ross Island



Ross Island was the administrative headquarters of A & N Island during the British period. Ever since Dr. James Pattison Walker arrived in Port Blair aboard the East India Company's steam frigate 'Senuramis' on 10th March 1858, this island remained under British occupation till 1942. From 1942 to 1945, the island was under the occupation of Japanese. However, the allies reoccupied the island in 1945 and later abandoned it. Though in ruins now it still reminds us of the pomp and glory of the bye gone years. On their visit one can reminisce the life style of the inhabitants by the facilities like Church, bakery, hospital , bath rooms, swimming pool , tennis ground etc, that existed. A small museum of Indian Navy, Smritika, has a good collection of old records. Deer roam the islands today, peering from behind the thick bushes, and sometimes mustering up courage to eat biscuits out of your hand. A graveyard has headstones of army officers who died young, and that of an infant who lived for just 22 hours. It is an eerie place, now owned by the navy. Some parts are off limits for visitors. A small museum displays pictures of its old grandeur. Ross Island, a few km from Aberdeen jetty at Port Blair. To any onlooker it may give the impression that it has no "life" - in the sense that there is no human habitation. Ross island is open to public on all days except for Wednesday. There are boat facilities from the Phoenix Bay jetty to Rose Island many times a day.